Cycling Date: 28-July-09
Mileage: 62 miles
Weather: Sunny and warm. Highs up into the low 90s.
Highlights of the day:
– A beautiful day for the last leg of the tour. Winds primarily out of the west, pushing us nicely towards the beach.
– A few more New Hampshire style hills. Short but with enough of a grade to challenge the riders one more day.
– Riders gathered at the Rye Junior High at mile 50. One last group photograph and opportunities to say goodbye. All riders, including the staff, were then escorted to Wallis Sands Beach by a police office. We owned the road and heard lots of cheers from passers-by, friends, and family.
– The beach ceremonies. Wheel dipping. Emptying the official water bottle containing seawater from the Pacific. Lots & lots of pictures. More hugs. More tears. And grins from ear to ear.
– The last day comes to an end. One more motel for the final luggage drop. Bikes prepped for shipping. Last dinner shared with new friends. Vans return to the ABB office. Time to go our separate ways but with a wealth of new experiences and friendships that will last a lifetime.
– Thus endeth the tour and this blog, for now. I know I leave for home planning my next ride for this summer & looking forward to doing this again next year. I don’t think I’m the only one. 🙂 Cheers!