Cycling Date: 23-July-09
Mileage: 70 miles
Weather: Rainy then cloudy then rainy. Winds out of the ESE. Highs in the upper 70s.
Highlights of the day:
– A soggy start of the day with steady rain. Lots of grit. Lots of flats.
– The first part of the route followed along the top of two of the Finger Lakes. Canandaigua Lake – hidden by rain and mist. Seneca Lake – a bit grey & blended into the grey sky but viewable from Seneca Lake State Park.
– At the top of Cayuga Lake, the route went through Seneca Falls. Here riders were able to visit Women’s Rights National Historical Park & Visitors Center. Seneca Falls was home to the first Women’s Rights Convention back in 1848.
– The ice cream stop du jour was at the Red & White Creamery Café in Elbridge NY. Homemade chicken salad, burgers, and IBC cream sodas. It is all about the food.
– The route crossed paths with the Erie Canal for the first time. The canal will be a feature over the next two days. Locks. Bridges. Bike paths.