Cycling Date: 22-July-09
Mileage: 94 miles
Weather: Mostly sunny but still not too warm. Highs in the mid 70s. Winds steady and out of the east. Headwind…
Highlights of the day:
– Burgwardt Pedaling History Bicycle Museum. Tucked away in Orchard Park, NY is an amazing collection of bicycles that traces the history from velocipedes to ordinaries to modern day Treks. Carl Burgwardt, owner & collector, treated riders to a 45 minutes guided tour of his collection. We were excited and fortunate to have this tour as he is actively working to sell his collection and enjoy his retirement.
– After the museum tour, we worked our way into NY farmland and then into the Finger Lakes region. Lots of rolling hills. Corn fields. Grazing land. And vineyards.
– No real long climbs but lots of repeats and a few steep ones tossed in for good measure. Total climbing was just over 4000 feet. Add in a steady headwind for most of the 94 miles and today’s ride was good challenge.
– To stave off our hunger pangs, our second SAG stop was at Tom Wahl’s. in Avon NY. A great place for floats, shakes, and burgers ala the 1950s. Health food heaven!
– Some riders enjoyed food & wine at the New York Wine & Culinary School on the shores of Canandaigua Lake.